City of Savannah Health and Wellness
What is Wellness?
Wellness is an active process of becoming aware of and making choices toward a healthy and fulfilling life. It is "More than being free from illness; it is a dynamic process of change and growth".
“A conscious, self-directed and evolving process of achieving full potential.”
-The National Wellness Institute
City of Savannah Health & Wellness Mission Statement
To provide City of Savannah employees and their families with the motivation, education and opportunities to attain a healthier, happier and more productive lifestyle. The City of Savannah aims to improve the quality of life of our employees and families by building a culture of health through education, motivation and engagement of all employees and their families to participate in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
How Does Participating Benefit Me?
- Improve your health and well-being
- You will share in the experience with coworkers and family members
- You will learn about your health and healthy behavior
Activities, Programs and Events
Lifestyle Prevention Programs
- DASH - Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension
- Learn how a few simple changes to your diet can have a BIG impact on your blood pressure. This free, virtual course will provide information on how to start and stay on the DASH eating plan, including menus and recipes.
- DASH Program Enrollment Form
- Bearly Sick
- Child care program for mildly ill children (3 months-14 years of age) who are too sick to go to school/day care are welcomed to SJC Bearly Sick Monday-Friday from 6:30AM-6:30PM.
- Bearly Sick Overview & Enrollment Rom
Nutrition and Diabetes Education
- This program is designed to encourage physical activity and is available to any full-time, active City employee. Employees will be reimbursed up to $15.00 per consecutive months for participation, given they follow program participation requirements.
- This program encourages employees to complete 4 wellness activities during the current plan year in order to earn significant savings (estimated $1,000) on their medical premiums for the next plan year.
Diabetes Program – GoStrong!
- A multilevel program with St. Joseph/Candler designed to teach participants how to manage their diabetes and live the healthiest life possible. The program is specifically designed for those who have been diagnosed with diabetes.
Onsite Spring into Health Fairs with Onsite Screenings
- The City of Savannah will be having on-site health services (COVID Boosters, Flu Shots, and Mammograms) come near you in the months of September, October, and November. Be on the lookout for dates!
- Spring into Health Fair will have a date and location TBA
- The City offers tobacco cessation programs at no charge to the employee.
Weight Management Program!
- A multilevel program with St. Joseph/Candler designed to encourage weight loss. This program is focused on increasing physical activity and proper dieting to lead towards a healthier lifestyle.
Diabetes Prevention Program - Prevent T2 <- COMING BACK SOON
- The City of Savannah offers a diabetes prevention program to help those with pre-diabetes prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes. Participants learn how to eat healthy, add physical activity to their routine, manage stress, stay motivated, and solve problems that can get in the way of healthy changes.
- City employees can work one on one with a certified health and wellness coach to help set goals to improve many areas of their life. Wellness coaching is the process of equipping employees with the tools, knowledge and opportunities they need to fully develop themselves to be effective in their commitment to themselves, the company and their work. Coaching can improve an employee resiliency and effectiveness in sustaining lasting changes.
Who Can Participate and How?
Onsite Health Screenings, SAV4Health premium, Diabetes Program and Weight Management are offered to all City of Savannah employees on the health plan at no cost. All other activities and programs are open to all city of savannah employees.
Programs offered to those on the health plan are also open to family members and dependents that are also on the City health plan. Please read the respective class or program description to determine eligibility.
All programs and activities are completely voluntary and are a benefit to the City of Savannah employees.
For more information about an upcoming session for any of our programs or events, please contact your Employee Health and Wellness Coordinator, Kate DeMasi at (912) 651-6545 or Kate.email@example.com