For Immediate Release
Date: November 19, 2015
The City of Savannah is seeking submissions of original elementary student artwork celebrating the 50th anniversary of Savannah’s National Historic Landmark District (designated in 1966) to display in an exhibit in City Hall’s first floor rotunda. Submissions will be judged by a panel of artists, preservationists, and City leaders. The winning entries will be framed and displayed by the City of Savannah in City Hall for the period July-December 2016 for all our citizens and visitors to enjoy. These winning works will become the property of the City of Savannah and will not be returned to the artists. Work not selected for display will be returned to the artists after judging.
Awards and Exhibit Opening:
- Up to 6 winners will be chosen, including a “Best in Show.”
- All winners will receive an award certificate, prize of art supplies, and reproduction of their winning work for their portfolio.
- Winners will be announced to the public during an exhibit opening at City Hall.
- Depicts some aspect of Savannah’s National Historic Landmark District, whose boundaries are: the Savannah River on the north; Gwinnett Street on the south; Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard on the west; and East Broad Street and Trustees Garden on the east. This could include, but is not limited to: Buildings; Streets; Squares; Riverfront; Architectural details
- Two-dimensional work in any media
- 11” x 17” (horizontal or vertical orientation)
- Unframed with a protective sheet or sleeve covering surface
- Information sheet completed and turned in with each submission
- Chatham County students (attending public or private schools); K through 5th grade
- Students may submit up to two pieces each
Deadline for Submission: Friday, March 11, 2016, 5:00pm
Submissions should be delivered to: City of Savannah, Research Library & Municipal Archives
City Hall, Room 103 2 E. Bay Street
For more information contact:
Luciana Spracher, Research Library & Municipal Archives Director, (912) 651-6411 or Lspracher@savannahga.gov
The announcement/guideline sheet and submission form are available on the City’s website at www.savannahga.gov/artcontest.