For Immediate Release
Date: July 20, 2015
On Wednesday, July 22 the President St. eastbound turn lane onto the Truman Parkway will close. Traffic from the downtown area that needs to access southbound Truman Parkway will be detoured to Wheaton St. (see attached map). Southbound Truman Parkway will remain open to westbound President St. traffic during this period.
The closure is part of the President St. project, which will alleviate street flooding in the area and provide significant upgrades to the area’s infrastructure. The closure is expected to last for the duration of the 30-month project, which began in January of this year.
The major aspects of the President St. project include:
• Raising the elevation of President Street and General McIntosh between 5 and 8 feet to alleviate street flooding. Currently, the roadway – one of the County’s major hurricane evacuation routes – floods during heavy tides and rainfall events.
• Creation of new signalized intersections onto properties to the north and south of President Street, which is necessary before development can begin on these properties.
• Reconfiguration of the intersection of General McIntosh and President Street.
• Construction of a bridge over an expanded Bilbo Canal, which will improve drainage through much of the greater downtown area.
• New landscaping and pedestrian-friendly features will enhance the appearance of this major gateway into Savannah, including stamped brick crosswalks at the new intersections and sidewalks along both sides of President Street.