For Immediate Release
Date: September 14, 2017
City of Savannah Hurricane Irma Response
• Estimated that 15-20 percent of residents evacuated
• Stormwater crews pumped out just under one billion gallons of water from Savannah neighborhoods. Crews manned pump stations 24/7
• No loss of City’s water and sewer system, no water contamination
• SCMPD and Savannah Fire never stopped responding to calls
• Significant decrease in burglaries compared to Hurricane Matthew 71% decrease (187 vs. 54)
• 1,869 citizen-initiated calls for service and 11,393 officer-initiated calls!
• 75 City intersections lost power during Irma
• 5 intersections still without power today (2 using generator power, 3 using temporary stop signs)
PARK AND TREE
• 150 of City 311 calls were service requests to Park and Tree for tree/limb removal
• Park and Tree removed 3 trees that were on city right-of-way off of houses
• Sanitation Department is back on regular service routes TODAY.
• Debris removal began yesterday, currently projecting 5% or less than what was collected post-Matthew.
PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICE
• City and police PIOs reached more than 1 million people on social media during Hurricane Irma.