Coin Operated Amusement Machines
Under State Code O.C.G.A. § 50-27-86, the City of Savannah is permitted to adopt an ordinance to regulate bona fide coin operated amusement machines or Class B machines. Savannah City Council approved an ordinance on June 20, 2019 to assist in regulating this industry. Enforcement of the ordinance began October 1, 2019.
City Certification Process
The City of Savannah has significantly streamlined and simplified the certification process for Class B coin-operated amusement machines operating within city limits. The City will now directly certify businesses based on their registration status with the State of Georgia COAM Division. Business owners will no longer be required to “double register” with the City after successfully registering with the State. The City will be reviewing the State’s approved registration list and mailing out the City of Savannah 2020-2021 COAM certificates to businesses from mid-November through November 30, 2020.
If you have questions regarding how to register your Class B machines with the State of Georgia or need to inquire about your COAM status with the State, please visit www.gacoam.com or call (800) 746-8546.
About the Ordinance
The ordinance addresses the following items:
- Require license with the City for any business with a bona fide coin operated machine;
- Prohibit licenses from being transferable;
- Require Annual Business Tax Certificate or adding gross annual sales receipts from Class B machines to existing Annual Business Tax Certificate;
- Limit Class B machines to 6 machines per location;
- Allow City to inspect gross receipts for machines;
- Post signage at establishment (download an example of the required signage);
- Outline operating regulations:
- Keep devices in plain view
- Inspect machines
- Require attendant (18 yrs old)
- Prohibit loitering
- Allow City to suspend and revokes Alcoholic Beverage License for violations to the new ordinance;
- Allow for due process for suspected violators; and
- Provide fines for violators—both businesses and recipients of any illegal payout
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.