The City of Savannah is partnering with the Upcycle Company to create convenient glass recycling drop locations throughout our community for residential use.
Glass collected at glass recycling drop locations will be recycled in the U.S. for reuse in the glass industry. Your glass bottles and jars will be recycled into various products, including new glass containers, recycled glass countertops, and foamed glass - which can be used in construction projects, as a water filtration medium, and in lightweight concrete.
WHAT ITEMS ARE ACCEPTED IN THE #glassonly RECYCLING PROGRAM?
- Bottles, Jugs, and Jars
- Clear, Brown, Green, and Blue in color
- With or Without Labels
WHAT ITEMS ARE NOT ACCEPTED IN THE #glassonly RECYCLING PROGRAM?
- Mirrored or Tempered Glass
- Windshield Glass
- Pyrex Glass
THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN RECYCLING!
WHEN IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT!
KEEP YOUR RECYCLABLES CLEAN & DRY
- IS THERE A COST ASSOCIATED WITH USING THE #glassonly RECYCLING DROP LOCATIONS?
The #glassonly recycling drop location program is free to residents of the City of Savannah.
- IS BROKEN GLASS ACCEPTED IN THE #glassonly RECYCLING PROGRAM?
Yes. Broken bottles, jars and jugs are accepted at the #glassonly recycling drop sites. Please ensure they are clean and dry before putting them in the recycling bin.
- DO LIDS AND CAPS NEED TO BE REMOVED BEFORE RECYCLING GLASS IN THE DROP LOCATION PROGRAM?
Yes. If you can remember to take your lids off before recycling your glass, that is preferable. However, if you happen to forget to remove those lids before you drop your glass in the bin, no worries. We have powerful magnets that will separate the metal lids from the glass during our processing.
- WHY DO RECYCLABLES NEED TO BE CLEAN AND DRY?
This is one of the most common recycling mistakes. All recyclables need to be both clean and dry ensuring liquid and food residue is removed as the residue contaminates the material preventing recycling. Only putting clean and dry glass in recycling bin also keeps the roll-off container cleaner and less stinky making the recycling experience more enjoyable for other residents.
- DO I NEED TO WASH MY RECYCLABLES WITH SOAP?
No. You do not need to use soap to clean your recyclables. Simply rinsing them, ensuring all residue is removed, and drying them is sufficient.
- WHY DOES GLASS NEED TO BE COLLECTED IN A #glassonly RECYCLING STREAM?
When glass is collected in #glassonly recycling containers, it results in a cleaner glass stream resulting in a higher recovery rate of the glass material. U.S. manufacturers need this clean material to reduce raw material demands.
- WHY SHOULDN’T GLASS NEED TO BE COLLECTED IN A SINGLE-STREAM COMMINGLE PROGRAM?
Single-stream recycling, which commingles all recyclables (paper, cardboard, metals, plastics, and glass) in one bin, has been the primary means of collecting recyclables in the U.S. since the early 1990’s. When glass is collected in single-stream recycling collection programs, it breaks and embeds into other materials, creating contamination and decreasing material value. This results in large amounts of collected material going to U.S. landfills.
- WHAT IS “CONTAMINATION” IN REGARDS TO THE RECYCLING STREAM?
Contamination occurs when materials are not properly cleaned, such as when food residue remains on a container, or when non-acceptable items are tossed into the recycling bin.
- WILL CURBSIDE #glassonly BE AN OPTION IN SAVANNAH?
Yes. Date TBD. Stay tuned to the City of Savannah and The Upcycling Company’s websites and social for program announcements.
- THERE IS NOT A #glassonly RECYCLING DROP LOCATION NEAR ME - HOW CAN I REQUEST ONE?
Please visit https://recycleglasshere.com/recycle-glass/ and go to the Request Drop Location form. Complete and submit your request and we will consider your request as we expand the #glassonly recycling drop location program.
- WHAT HAPPENS TO THE GLASS AFTER IT COLLECTED?
Recycled regionally for reuse in the glass industry.
- WHAT IS THE CURRENT GLASS RECYCLING RATE IN THE U.S.?
According to the EPA, the current glass recycling rate is around 31% annually.
- WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS TO OUR COMMUNITY FOR RECYCLING GLASS?
- #glassonly recycling programs have high recovery rates and save space in our local landfills extending the life of the landfill.
- #glassonly recycling programs reduce the contamination rate in the commingles stream, increasing the recovery rate of the plastic and cardboard/paper.
- #glassonly recycling programs reduce wear and tear on city owned equipment as the glass stream is collected by The Upcycling Company
- #glassonly recycling programs increase the quality of cullet that can be produced for U.S. manufacturers ensuring an outlet for this material. Collecting recyclable is pointless if there is no buyer.
- #glassonly recycling programs ensure residents’ glass bottles and jars will be made into new glass products. Glass collected in single-stream programs often still ends up in our landfills after being collected as a recyclable.
- WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS TO MANUFACTURERS WHO USE RECYCLED GLASS?
- #glassonly recycling programs decrease contamination in the glass stream starting at collection, and increase the quality of cullet that can be produced for U.S. manufacturers.
- The more clean quality cullet U.S. manufacturers use, the less energy they use in their process, saving energy.
- All of this reduces the need for raw material in the manufacturing process.
- Most U.S. glass manufacturers are working towards sustainability goals and you recycling your glass, is helping them reach their goals, to the benefit of all of us.