About the Adopt-A-Spot Program
The City of Savannah and Keep Savannah Beautiful is seeking volunteers to assist with keep public spaces clean. The goal of the Adopt-A-Spot program is to inspire individuals to take greater responsibility for creating a clean and beautiful city
through litter prevention and community beautification.
What are the benefits to the Community and City?
The obvious benefit is the beautification and enhancement of previously blighted areas. Volunteers removing the litter and maintaining a site saves Sanitation and Property Maintenance Department man-hours cleaning and inspecting blighted areas, thus saving public tax dollars. The increased citizen involvement in litter control and beautification will strengthen community and neighborhood pride as well.
Who Can Adopt?
Any civic-minded organization, such as Garden Clubs, Neighborhood Organizations, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Church Groups, Junior or Senior High Student Councils, FFA/FHA, Rotary Clubs, etc. can adopt a stretch of street (one mile minimum) leading into their community.
What Are The Responsibilities of An Adopting Organization?
Through such adoption, an organization would have responsibility of controlling the litter problem within that section of street. In addition, the organization will:
- Develop a functional plan that will influence and encourage the public to improve the appearance of adopted street
- Plan for a general cleanup eight times a year
- Assist Keep Savannah Beautiful in securing media coverage for the program
- Coordinate with the City’s personnel and Keep Savannah Beautiful to carry out the plan
What are the responsibilities of Keep Savannah Beautiful?
The City of Savannah/K.S.B. will:
* Furnish an Adopt-a-Street sign stating the responsible organization, to be posted at adopted site.
* Provide assistance to remove debris collected at the adoptive site.
* Provide safety vests, gloves and plastic bags to aid in the litter removal activities.
Any interested group should contact:
Carliss E. Bates
Office: (912) 651-6703