May 7, 2018
For Immediate Release
Overhaul of City Zoning Published for Public Feedback
SAVANNAH, GA (May 7, 2018) — A draft of the New Zoning Ordinance (NewZO) has been jointly published by the City of Savannah and the Metropolitan Planning Commission. The proposal seeks to update the City’s zoning ordinance which was adopted in 1960.
“Our zoning ordinance has never been overhauled to reflect the numerous changes that have occurred in the last 50 years,” said Planning and Urban Design Director Bridget Lidy. “This proposal will simplify our zoning code and provide much needed updates to parcels of land that have seen their use change as Savannah has grown.”
Over the next few weeks the public will have several opportunities to learn more about the project and provide feedback. The Metropolitan Planning Commission (MPC) will hold meetings at the Arthur Mendonsa Conference Room located at 110 E. State St.
- A formal Public Meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 23 from 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. at the MPC
- Walk-in Open House sessions will be held at the MPC:
- Thursday, May 10 and Thursday May 17 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 16 and Wednesday, May 23 from 10 a.m. to 1:00p.m.
Hard copies for the public to review will be available at the following locations by the end of this week:
- Bull Street Public Library, 2002 Bull St.
- Carnegie Library, 537 East Henry St.
- W.W. Law Library, 909 East Bolton St.
- West Broad Library, 1110 May St.
- Oglethorpe Mall, 7 Mall Annex
- Southwest Chatham Library, 14097 Abercorn St.
- Forest City Library, 1501 Stiles Ave.
- Metropolitan Planning Commission, 110 E. State St.
- City Hall, Clerk of Council Office, 2 E. Bay St.
For more information and to provide feedback, please visit www.NewZO.org or contact the MPC at (912) 651-1499