Waste Acceptance Policy for Residents of Unincorporated Chatham County
Effective July 1, 2000, public use of the waste drop-off center at the City of Savannah’s Dean Forest Road Landfill by persons residing in the unincorporated portions of Chatham County is limited as outlined below.
- Authorized Users - Services will only be provided to paid subscribers residing within the unincorporated areas of Chatham County for the disposal of waste materials generated within their own domiciles. For the purpose of this policy, domicile is defined as a person’s fixed, permanent, principal home for legal purposes.
- Unauthorized Users - Services will not be provided to persons residing within the corporate limits of Pooler, Port Wentworth, Garden City, Bloomingdale, Thunderbolt, Vernonburg, and Tybee Island. Commercial wastes, including materials originating from the management of rental property, will not be accepted.
- Acceptable Materials - Disposal service is limited to containerized garbage and non-containerized recyclable items only. Tires can be accepted (no more than four total from the residence).
- Unacceptable Materials - Dry trash, bulky items, furniture, appliances, non containerized garbage, and yard wastes will not be accepted. Commercial wastes, including wastes originating from the management of rental property, will not be accepted. Prohibited wastes, as defined under the Georgia Rules for Solid Waste Management, such as lead-acid batteries, paints, and free liquids will not be accepted.
Payment of Fee
The nonrefundable annual disposal fee must be paid directly in advance to the City of Savannah Revenue Department (located at the Coastal Georgia Center, 305 Fahm Street), either in person or by mail:
City of Savannah Department of Revenue
P.O. Box 1228
Savannah, GA 31402-1228
Payments will not be accepted at the Dean Forest Road Landfill. A copy of the Annual Tipping Fee Credit Form, stamped by the Revenue Department, must be presented to the landfill scale attendant as proof of payment. Upon verification of payment, subscription customers’ names will be entered on a master subscribers list kept on file at the landfill.
Alternate Disposal Sites
Chatham County operates three drop-off centers for the disposal of dry trash, bulky items, furniture, appliances, and yard waste:
- Sharon Park Landfill located on Kelly Hill Road (off U.S. Highway 80, 0.5 miles west of Chatham Parkway)
- Chevis Road Landfill (off U.S. Highway 17, south of Keller’s Flea Market
- Wilmington Island Landfill (off Concorde Road)
These facilities are supported by Chatham County property taxes and are available at no additional charge. For additional information on these Chatham County facilities or Chatham County solid waste collection services, please contact Chatham County Public Works at (912) 652-6840.
Privately owned landfills in the area include:
|Waste Management Superior Landfill|
3001 Littleneck Rd.
Savannah, GA 31419
Ph: (912) 927-6113
|Republic Regional Industrial Landfill|
84 Clifton Blvd.
Savannah, GA 31408
Ph: (912) 964-2812
Right of Refusal
The Bureau of Sanitation of the City of Savannah reserves the right to reject any material which the sanitation director or his designee deems to be unsuitable for disposal.