How to Apply for Alcohol License

Important Documents

Application and Approval Process for City of Savannah Alcohol License

1. All applications for Alcohol Licensure must be completed in full and turned into the City of Savannah Revenue Department for processing. Every item on the application should be read carefully and completed; incomplete applications will not be accepted.

2. Applications could take up to 45 days before approval is granted. If building is new or being renovated, Certificate of Occupancy is required before an Alcohol License is issued. The City adopted a new zoning ordinance on September 1, 2019.  Please contact Planning and Urban Design ( to determine if the zoning district requires a special use permit which must be considered by the Planning Commission and City Council prior to the issuance of an alcohol license.  

3. All of the following documents must be submitted at the time of filing. Note: If the applicant is not a Chatham County resident, the ABL Responsible Applicant must reside within a 50-mile radius of the establishment; all applicants must provide the following documents:

  • Proof of United States Citizenship (Certified U.S. Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, U.S. Passport, Marriage License for female)
  • Proof of Chatham County Residency (Lease or Deed to resident and a Utility statement)
  • Authorization Release Form
  • Food and Alcoholic Affidavit or Ancillary Package Store Affidavit
  • Savannah Police Department Notification Slip (from Forensic Dept. only)
  • Original Alcohol License 
  • Proof of ownership, purchase agreement or sales contract
  • Copy of the Public Safety Plan (Operational Plans)
  • Proof of Dram Shop Insurance ($1 million dollars)/Proof of General Liability Insurance ($1 million dollars)

4. All applicants must be fingerprinted at the SPD Forensic Unit located at 78 Ross Rd Tuesday and Thursday by appointment only. Make an appointment online.

5. Businesses dispensing Alcohol for consumption on premises must contact Chatham County Health Department at 1395 Eisenhower Dr. (912) 356-2160 prior to submittal of alcohol application.

6. Businesses dispensing Alcohol for consumption off premises must contact Dept. of Agriculture at (404) 586-1411 prior to submittal of alcohol application.  

Notice: Applications will not be forwarded to the Clerk of Council to be scheduled for hearing before City Council until a fully completed application with all required supporting documents, affidavits, and all required fees are received in the Revenue Department. The alcohol license, when approved by City Council will be issued when the applicant provides evidence of the Certificate of Occupancy. They must also submit the necessary documents and tax payments to acquire a business tax certificate for any other business activity conducted in conjunction with their alcoholic beverage sales from that location.

For additional information, visit the SPD Alcoholic Beverage Compliance Unit web page.