Municipal Archives Digital Policies
Reproduction and Publication Policy
Researchers may download images for personal or educational use if the provided credit line is included.
All use of images for commercial or non-profit products must be requested from the Municipal Archives through the Permission to Reproduce form: Permission to Reproduce and Publish
Please email the completed form to the Municipal Archives Director at Archives@savannahga.gov or mail to: City of Savannah Municipal Archives, PO Box 1027, Savannah, GA 31402
Digital Take-Down Policy
The City of Savannah Municipal Archives works to ensure that it has appropriate rights to provide access to content through the Digital Collections website. These materials are made available for educational and scholarly use.
If you are a rights holder and are concerned that you have found material on the City of Savannah Municipal Archives' website without your permission and believe our inclusion of this material violates your rights (e.g. inclusion is not covered by the Fair Use or other exemption to a copyright holder’s rights), please contact the Municipal Archives Director at Archives@savannahga.gov and include the following:
- Your contact information (including name, email address and telephone number);
- Exact URL where you found the material;
- Details that describe the material (including item title and description, collection name, number of items, etc.);
- The reason why you believe that your rights have been violated, with any pertinent documentation;
- A statement that you in good faith believe that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law, and;
- A statement that the information in your notification is accurate and that you are the rights holder or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner.
Upon receipt of a request, Municipal Archives staff will:
- Promptly acknowledge the request via your preferred method of contact;
- Assess the validity of the request; and
- Upon request, we may temporarily remove the material from public view while we assess the concern.
Upon completion of the assessment, we will take appropriate action and communicate that action to you.
Harmful Language Statement
The Municipal Archives preserves and makes accessible records due to their historical significance. Items and description in the Municipal Archives collections may contain language and content that some may find offensive or difficult to view. The Municipal Archives strives to address harmful descriptive information included in our records. Examples include outdated or biased language that reflects racist, sexist, ableist, or xenophobic views, or content related to violent, prejudiced, or inappropriate historical events. Items in the collections, their content, and their descriptions reflect the time period when they were created and the views of their creator. Items may retain their original description when the description provides valuable historical accuracy or context. In these instances, the description should be supplemented with additional information provided as background on the records.
If you see records with inappropriate language or content that you think the Municipal Archives should review, please contact us at Archives@Savannahga.gov with the subject line “Description Review”. Please include as many details as possible regarding the offensive content, including a link to the record, a screenshot, or reference to the archival record series and item number. Upon receipt of a request, Municipal Archives staff will promptly acknowledge the request, assess the validity of the request, and upon completion of the assessment, we will take appropriate action and communicate that action to you.
The Municipal Archives represents all citizens of Savannah. We recognize that collections may demonstrate bias and exclusion through historical institutional collecting scope and policies. We are committed to working with the community to address gaps in our collections in order to move towards more equitable representation.
For more information or questions please contact the Municipal Archives:
Telephone: (912) 651-6412
Mailing Address: City of Savannah Municipal Archives, PO Box 1027, Savannah, GA 31402