My Favorite Tree
To celebrate National Arbor day in 2023 The Savannah Park and Tree Commission announces:
The Savannah ARBOR DAY ART & ESSAY CONTEST
- Open to all Savannah students in grades K-12
- Contest Theme 2022-23: “My Favorite Tree”
Students throughout Savannah are invited to submit an original piece of art or writing to the Park and Tree Commission’s annual art and essay contest. This year’s theme is “My Favorite Tree.” Submissions should express the entrant’s observations, thoughts, or feelings about a favorite tree and what makes this tree interesting or special.
Each student is limited to one entry.
Winners will be honored at an award ceremony held by the Savannah Park and Tree Commission on National Arbor Day, April 28, 2023.
Prizes will be awarded for a selection of three submissions of art and three submissions of writing.
After April 28, the selected entries will be posted on the City of Savannah's webpage, and will be on exhibition in the Savannah City Hall Rotunda during the month of May 2023.
How to enter the contest: Savannah students in grades K-12 may submit one original piece of writing or art, relating to the theme of “My Favorite Tree.” Each submission should be an original piece created by the student. All submissions must be entered online here.
What formats can be entered:
- Entries must be submitted online. While entries can be created in any medium, they must be submitted online in one of the following formats: Word document, JPG, or PDF. Sorry – no videos accepted.
- Writing entries can be in essay, prose, poem or other forms, but must be 500 words or less.
- Art entries should be limited in original size as follows: For two-dimensional art – no more than 36 inches in height and width; for three-dimensional works – no more than 30 inches in height, width and depth.
Deadlines: All entries must be submitted by March 10, 2023. Late entries will not be accepted.
Prizes: One visual art work and one literary work will be selected from the high-school-age submissions, the middle school submissions, and the elementary/kindergarten submissions. Each selected honoree will receive a $100 gift card, as well as a young tree to plant.
Questions: Email questions regarding the contest to the Park & Tree Commission at email@example.com, please put "Arbor Day Contest" in the subject line.
Educational Resources: To learn more about trees in general, Savannah’s trees, and Arbor Day, please visit the resources below: