Applications and Forms
City staff are responsible for zoning interpretations, temporary use permits, and business location approvals. When seeking answers to zoning questions, use the zoning information request for faster responses and the zoning confirmation letter for official, more comprehensive responses.
- Zoning Information Request Form
- Zoning Confirmation Letter Application (A $50 fee applies)
- Business Location Approval Application (needed for Business Tax Certificate)
- Temporary Use Application
The following applications are available to request amendments to the Zoning Ordinance and/or Map which will be presented to the Chatham County-Savannah Metropolitan Planning Commission (MPC) for consideration and then forwarded to City Council for a final decision:
- Rezoning (Map Amendment) and Comprehensive Plan Future Land Use Map Amendment
- Zoning Text Amendment
- Special Use Permit and Special Use with Special Exceptions
The Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) application must be filed for any variance that is not associated with a major development plan, an appeal of a zoning decision, relief for nonconforming uses and structures, and extension of a ZBA approval.
The MPC makes the final decision on the following zoning applications:
- Special Exemptions
- Variances for Development Plans (This application is specifically for any variance associated with a major development plan)
All zoning applications must be submitted to the City’s Planning and Urban Design Office with payments made to the City of Savannah.
Certain material changes in the appearance to resources within the Savannah Downtown, Victorian, Streetcar, Cuyler-Brownville, Ardsley-Park, Ardmore-Chatham Terrace and Historic Carver Village historic districts may require an application to secure a Certificate of Appropriateness.
Calendar of Meetings
Follow the below links to the Metropolitan Planning Commission (MPC) website to see the calendar of meetings for: