Project Materials and Updates
November/December 2019 Updates
- The revised Draft EIS addressing FWHA and EPA comments was been submitted to GDOT for review in November.
- A few more comments were received from GDOT in late November. They have been addressed and Draft EIS and Response to Comments letter were submitted back to GDOT in December.
August 2019 Updates
- Comments from FHWA and EPA to the Draft DEIS have been received
June 2019 Update
- The revised Draft EIS was submitted to GDOT for review on June 7, 2019
- Another project milestone, the Preliminary Field Plan Review, has been scheduled for June 25 and 26, 2019
- The History Assessment of Effects document was concurred with by the State Historic Preservation Office on May 23, 2019
April 2019 Update
Let’s Go Initiative from Chatham Area Transit
December 2018 Update
- Addressing comments from GDOT to the DEIS
- FHWA has approved the Scoping Report. A complete copy of the report can be found here.
October 2018 Update
- The Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) is progressing and in review with GDOT, and ultimately by FHWA.
- Agency and Public Scoping phases of the NEPA process have concluded.
- Mitigation planning for the project is underway.
- Review and approval of the DEIS by FHWA
- Continued development of the Project Mitigation Plan
- Public Hearing Open House, after approval of the DEIS by FHWA
June 2018 Update
Response to Comments Received at the February 2018 Public Scoping Meeting
February 2018 Update
Project DeRenne Public Scoping
A Public Scoping meeting was held on February 13, 2018. Meeting materials and handouts are available for review below.
After reviewing materials please use the link below to participate in the survey and submit comments.
- Take the survey and submit comments online
Comments will be accepted until March 15, 2018.
January 2018 Update
PROJECT DERENNE MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT
Public Scoping Meeting
Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)
Tuesday, February 13, 2018
11:00 am to 7:00 pm
Savannah Technical College
5717 White Bluff Road
Savannah, Georgia 31405
The public is invited to attend and participate in this next milestone activity in the environmental process for Project DeRenne.
This important meeting will inform the public on the current status and seek input on various aspects of the project. There will be no formal presentation, but members of the design team, environmental professionals, City of Savannah, and GDOT personnel will be present during the entire period to answer questions, explain the environmental process and encourage feedback about the project. Stations will be set up around the meeting room and cover topics such as:
- Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) Process and Schedule
- Project Area Context
- Issues and Opportunities from the project
- Other Alternatives Considered
There will be information at each station to encourage your participation and comments.
Comments can be made at the meeting in written or verbal formats. Display information, handouts, and other documents will be posted to the project website for further study and review.
October 2017 Update
On Wednesday October 25, 2017 the Agency Scoping meeting was held at the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) office in Atlanta. This crucial, and required, step in the NEPA Environmental Impact Assessment (EIS) process invited local, state, and federal agencies to provide input to the project. In addition to representatives from GDOT and the Federal Highway Administration, 8 additional agencies and Native American tribes attended the meeting. These agencies were requested to provide written comments to FWHA within 30 days of the meeting. This input will be included in the design and NEPA analysis for the project.
Our next upcoming milestone in the EIS process is holding a Public Scoping meeting. The meeting will be held early 2018. Stay tuned. Additional details will be available soon.
September 2017 Update
June 2017 Update
Consultant started the preparation of a right-of-way and easement tracking spreadsheet to assist the City Real Property Department to develop a Right-of-Way cost estimate for the project.
Consultant followed up with the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) Office of Environmental Studies on the History Assessment of Effects review status on June 23, and submitted plan sheets for the project and description modifications, on June 28 for the Memorandum of Agreement between the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), Georgia Department of Transportation, Georgia Department of Natural Resources Historic Preservation Division, and the City of Savannah.
The Environmental sub-consultant submitted a revised Notification of Intent (NOI) to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement and 4(f) Evaluation; to the Georgia Department of Transportation on June 19, 2017. This document was then forwarded to the Federal Highway Administration on June 23, 2017 for their review and approval.
Consultant prepared a Georgia Department of Transportation Preliminary Field Plan Review checklist with status updates for inclusion in the June 23, 2017 meeting notes.
- Watch the March 2017 presentation to City Council on Project DeRenne
- Download the March 2017 presentation to City Council
Additional Project Materials
Project DeRenne Video Simulation
The portion of Project DeRenne between I-516 and White Bluff Road is known as the Boulevard. This driver’s perspective video simulation allows you to see how it will look upon its completion.
- West DeRenne/Hampstead Connector Map
- West DeRenne Avenue Improvements Map
- East DeRenne Avenue Improvements Map
PLEASE SCHEDULE A PROJECT REVIEW SESSION!
For more information, we encourage you to schedule an appointment to review the project in depth by calling Traffic Engineering at 912-651-6600.