Date of Creation or Erection: 1974
Location: River Street at the head of Abercorn
Responsible Organization: Savannah Chapter of the Women's Propeller Club of the United States.
Physical Description: An anchor and chain on a rectangular base composed of four marble slabs set within a shallow rectangular brick reflecting pool. The Anchor Monument honors Chatham County seamen who lost their lives at sea.
Date of Creation or Erection:
Location: Troupe Square
Physical Description: An armillary sphere created into a sundial. It was chosen for its decorative value as a focal point regarding the landscaping of the square. The sphere is a series of astrological rings with a piercing arrow that, in theory, records the date and time by shadow. It consists of a delicate series of rings mounted with astrological appliqué set on a cast ring which is supported by six tortoises.
Date of Creation or erection: 1858
Location: East end of Bay Street in Emmet Park near the foot of East Broad.
Responsible Organization: United States Light House Board
Physical Description: The light is an ornamented cast iron shaft originally painted a dark bronze green and stands about twenty-five to thirty feet high, the light gives off a red cast.
Additional Information: Its original function was to assist vessel navigating the Savannah River
The Bronze busts of Confederate Generals Francis Stebbins Bartow and Lafayette McLaws are placed north and south of the Confederate Monument in Forsyth Park. Brigadier General Francis S. Bartow of Savannah was killed at the Battle of Manassas in July 1861. There was an immediate interest in erecting a monument to him, but the realities of war prevented it. Savannah formed one of the earliest, largest and most active Confederate Veterans Associations in the state. General Lafayette McLaws served as president and he died in 1898, a movement was started to form a monument association under the auspices of the CVA to erect monuments to both men.
February 1920, the monuments were both moved from their original site north and south of the fountain in Chippewa Square, to their present position because the Oglethorpe Monument was sighted for Chippewa Square.
A memorial to local police officers killed in the line of duty stands in front of city police headquarters in the Oglethorpe Avenue median at Habersham Street. The base was placed at the location in 1964 and the statue in 1982.
This stainless steel memorial of a uniformed police officer stands 5 feet 8 inches tall and city patrolman R.I. Ketterman was used as the model. The blue granite is rigidly cubic and bears the outline of a police officer’s shield on all four sides. Engraved inside of this cartouche are the names of police officers killed in the line of duty in Chatham County from 1869 to present.
During the trial for murdered Patrolman Harry H. Akins in 1963, Neil Fountain, president of the Police Officers’ Wives Association, promised Officer Akins’ wife that something would be done to perpetuate the memory of police killed in the line of duty. The Association formed a monument committee; they began researching the records to find the names of all police officers killed in action, and to publicize their efforts to erect a monument. Mr. Graham Leggett offered to donate and carve the granite die.
It was perhaps the first monument dedicated to the memory of police officers who have given their lives while serving and protecting.
General Count Casimir Pulaski began his military career by rebelling against the last king of Poland, Stanislaw II. Having been condemned to death for his actions in Poland, he escaped and made his way to Paris. It was there in Paris where Benjamin Franklin recruited Pulaski to join the American cause for liberty. Upon arrival in America July 1777 Pulaski was recruited as a brigadier-general to assist with the cause for freedom from the crown. Before organizing his own legion in Maryland, Pulaski fought with General Washington in Brandywine and Germantown.
General Pulaski was mortally wounded on the 9th of October 1779 while fighting with the Pulaski Legion during the Siege of Savannah, he died two days later. In testimony to Pulaski’s loyalty, John Stevens, who also served under Washington wrote, “the brave Pulaski who despairing of the cause of liberty in his own country had…sacrificed his life while contending for the freedom of ours…. .”
Until 1852, the monument served as a memorial to Nathanial Greene and To Casimir Pulaski, both Revolutionary heroes. The cornerstone for the proposed Pulaski monument had been laid in Chippewa Square by Lafayette during his historic tour of the United States in 1824-25. By 1852, enough additional money was earned by the lottery to erect a high-style monument to great man. The two surviving commissioners, William Bowen and William Robertson asked the state legislature to appoint Dr. Richard D. Arnold to serve with them for the purpose of choosing a sculptor and design for the Pulaski monument. They left it to the Sculptor, Launitz, to choose a site, and he chose Monterey Square.
In 1912 the Park and Tree Commission noted that the Pulaski monument was in need of some unspecified repairs and again in the 1960s. In 1990 some of the ornamentation fell off due to deterioration. The Monument had numerous cracks and patched places. On October 11, 1958, the anniversary of Pulaski’s death, the first annual pilgrimage of Polish Americans to Savannah took place, and in 1986 the Pulaski Society performed honors at the monument in 1986. In 2001, the Pulaski Monument Restoration was complete.
For years it was thought that Pulaski had been killed aboard the Wasp, however in 1996, while dismantling the monument to repair certain damage, workers came upon a metal box. Inside this rusted metal box were human remains and attached to the top of the box was a silver-plate inscribed with the name “Brigadier General Casimir Pulaski” The County Coroner, Dr. James Metts, Jr., and Dr. Karen Burns, a forensic anthropologist from the University of Georgia in Athens, found DNA from the bones highly conclusive as Pulaski's. He was reinterred at the base of the monument. The 226th anniversary of the Siege of Savannah, the city organized special funeral services and a final reinterrment ceremony at Monterey Square to honor the fallen hero.