Permits for Construction
A homeowner may get a permit to perform construction on his/her own residence if the homeowner:
- Lives in the residence (the owner cannot self-perform for rental properties);
- Has not applied for a permit at another address within two years;
- Accepts inherent responsibilities for the work authorized by the approved permit;
- Agrees to hire properly licensed contractors (licensed in the state of Georgia) for any work that is not performed by the owner;
- Performs work in accordance with all applicable codes and strictly adhere to the inspection schedule; and
- Submits a signed and notarized Homeowner's Affidavit. (This form may be obtained at our office from the Senior Plans Examiner)
If your home is located within a 100-year floodplain, and there is substantial damage to your home, contact the City’s Floodplain Administrator at 912-651-6510, ext. 1895 or email to determine if you must bring your home into compliance with the City’s Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance.
If your home is located within the Landmark Historic District, the Victorian District, Mid-City or Cuyler-Brownsville Phase I, please contact the Historic Preservation Office at 912-651-1457 to determine if special requirements apply.
Please be aware of scams and/or fraudulent contractors who may demand payment for services that they have not completed for you. You have the right to negotiate an agreement whereby work either begins after an initial deposit is made or after the work is completed in full.
If you have any questions regarding storm damage repairs, building permits, inspections, homeowner permits or contractor requirements, visit www.savannahga.gov/development -> Permits for Construction -> Building Permits, or call 912-651-6530 for more information.
Building Plan Review (BPR) Meetings
Building Plan Review (BPR) Meetings are held on Thursdays at 10 a.m. at Development Services (5515 Abercorn Street). We encourage owners, architects, designers, consultants and contractors to bring building projects to a BPR Meeting at any stage in the pre-design or design process. These are informal meetings with City staff including plan reviewers, trade principals, historic preservation officer, and the fire marshal. Click here for more information or to request to be placed on an agenda.
Site Plan Review (SPR) Meetings
Site Plan Review (SPR) Meetings are held on Mondays and Thursdays at 1:30 p.m. at Development Services (5515 Abercorn Street). We encourage owners, designers and consultants to bring site development projects to an SPR Meeting at any stage in the pre-design or design process. These are informal meetings with City staff from all site plan reviewing departments (Stormwater, Water and Sewer, Park and Tree, Traffic and Streets, Police, the Fire Marshal's Office and the MPC). Click here for more information or to request to be placed on an agenda.