City of Savannah Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance & NFIP information
- Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance
- Municode link: See Chapter 7 ~ Flood Damage Prevention
- Local Amendment to 2012 IRC Edition 1612.4 / ASCE 6.2 and Signed Amendment
- City of Savannah, Dry Floodproofing Plan Review Check List
- Floodplain Worksheet for New and Substantially Improved Construction within the AE Flood Zone ** NEW **
- Substantial Improvement/ Substantial Damage (50% Rule): Cost Estimate and Affidavit forms.
- (Information needed with Building Application of Pre-FIRM and Grandfathering projects: include: copy of signed contract and original signed affidavits. If Homeowner doing work, need Owners Affidavit and signed Cost Estimate with back up material cost list. Labor cost is still required even if doing the work yourself or donated labor. See 50% Rule document for more detail. Additional information may be needed depending on the project, contact Tom McDonald (912) 651-6530 X 1895.
- The FEMA National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Technical Bulletins
- FEMA Building Science has many publications organized by hazards.
- FEMA P-936, Floodproofing Non-Residential Buildings (FEMA, 2013)
- Answers to Questions About Substantial Damages Buildings, FEMA 213
- (information about the 50% RULE for buildings below the BFE)
City of Savannah Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) and Local Flood Studies maps:
Developers need to review both FEMA’s FIRM maps and City’s Local Flood Studies to help protect their project with the best available information to help reduce flooding during a high risk storm event. View local flood studies that could affect your design. Besides FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM), designers, contractors, and home owners will need to review the City’s Local Flood Studies to ensure the proposed improvements meet City’s local storm water studies and ordinances. For more information contact Jian Fei, JFei@Savannahga.Gov, (912) 650-7855, with City’s Stormwater Department for Site development or Tom McDonald tmcdonald@SavannahGa.Gov, (912) 651-6530 with Development Services for Building requirements. To view the Local Studies and Historic/Current FIRMS click on: Local Flood Studies
City of Savannah Stormwater Management Information Page:
The City’s Stormwater Department ensures developers comply with a state-issued stormwater permit, which requires stormwater monitoring, private site inspections, and site development permitting. For more information: Stormwater Management Resources
Flood Elevation Certificate and Other Required Certificates Forms:
- Elevation Certificate Form Only W/O Directions or (As of February 21, 2020)
- Dry Floodproofing Certificate
- V Zone Design Certificate
- V Zone Break-Away-Way Certificate
- Non Conversion Letter