Article X, Shuttles and Non-Emergency Transportation
City of Savannah
Mobility & Parking Services
Requirements to be permitted to drive a shuttle or non-emergency vehicle:
- Not be less than 18 years of age.
- Each application for a driver’s permit shall be accompanied by a certificate from a reputable physician of the City certifying that, in his or her opinion, the applicant is not inflicted with any disease or infirmity which might make the applicant an unsafe or unsatisfactory driver. In the case of renewal of a driver’s permit, the certificate shall be updated every two (2) years.
Fitness for Duty (PDF)
- Not have been convicted of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating beverages or drugs within two years prior to the date of the application for such permit, or have been convicted of reckless driving within one year prior to the date of the application for such permit, or been convicted of any of these offenses three or more times within three years prior to the date of the application for such permit. Nor shall a permit be issued to any person who has within three years prior to the date of the application for such permit been convicted of any crime relating to transporting persons for immoral purposes (prostitution, solicitation for prostitution, or any sex related offense), or who has within three years prior to the date of the application for such permit have been convicted of, been on probation, parole, or served time on a sentence for a felony. A plea of nolo contendere to any of the offenses set out in this section shall be deemed a conviction.
- Be a citizen of the United States or an alien admitted for permanent residence or who has otherwise been granted employment authorization by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Services.
- A driver’s permit fee of five dollars ($5.00) shall be paid by the applicant.
- Any person applying for a shuttle or non-emergency driver’s permit under this article must show that the applicant has a current motor vehicle operator’s license by submitting a seven (7) year motor vehicle report of the proper class issued or approved by the State of Georgia, and that the license is not under suspension or revocation. A three year (3) motor vehicle report will be required yearly thereafter.
- Criminal/Background check required from the Police Department, fee may apply.
For more information, call the Transportation Office at (912) 651-6468