Additional Info for Specific Business Uses
Business Approval (BA) is required for all businesses that are located within City limits. The BA process is an opportunity to confirm that your proposed use is permitted in the property’s zoning district and that the existing structure meets applicable building and fire code requirements. Once your BA is approved (or you have obtained a Certificate of Occupancy for construction if required), you can apply for a Business Tax Certificate (also known as a business licence), which is required for all businesses operating within the City of Savannah limits.
To determine the zoning district and/or property ID number (PIN) for a property, consult the zoning map. The "Regulations by District" portion of the city's ENCode Viewer or the principal use table outline whether a particular use is permitted.
Follow the below links for additional information about permitted uses related to:
- Child Care Centers
- Family Daycare Homes
- Home Occupations (Business operated from your home)
- Restaurants which serve alcoholic beverages
- Temporary Vendors
- Short-term Vacation Rentals
Follow this link for Chatham County Health Department Permits if your business is in one of the following categories:
- Food Service Establishments
- Body Art Facilities (i.e. tattoo parlors)
- Tourist Accommodations (Hotels, Motels, Bed and Breakfast, etc.)
- Public Swimming Pools/Spas
- Recreational Water Parks
The following will also need to comply with the Georgia Department of Agriculture's regulations:
Follow these links for Stormwater Requirements if your business use is one of the following:
Follow this link for information about Alcoholic Beverage Licenses.
The following will also need to comply with additional regulations:
- Healthcare Facilities - Georgia Department of Community Health HFR Laws and Regulations
- Child Care Programs - Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning
- Used Motor Vehicle Dealers - Georgia Board of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers and Used Motor Vehicle Dealer License
NOTE: This web page does not include all requirements for any type of business. Additional items may be required.