Zoning is a power granted to municipalities by the State in order to promote public health, safety, and general welfare, and to protect and preserve areas of historical, cultural, or architectural significance.
Zoning is the division of land within the City into separate districts within which uses are permitted, prohibited or permitted with conditions. Zoning Districts are established to promote compatible patterns of land use within the city limits. Zoning districts also establish site development standards in order to maintain a consistent and compatible development pattern specific to a each area of the City.
Additionally, the Zoning Ordinance contains requirements for off-street parking, signage, and visual compatibility within historic districts.
The Zoning Division is responsible for the administration, interpretation, and enforcement of the City of Savannah Zoning and Noise Control Ordinances. Zoning staff members provide technical assistance to the public and various administrative Boards.
- Determine the Zoning District for a Property
- Determine the PIN (Parcel Identification Number) of a Property
- Zoning Map: Use this map to determine the Zoning District for a property
- Zoning District Information: Information related to permitted uses
- Sign Information
- Parking Information
- Zoning Ordinance
- Zoning Ordinance Interpretations
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Development Standards: For information related to building setbacks, height, etc., review the Zoning District Information Sheet for the district.
- Permitted Uses: To find out what uses are permitted within a Zoning District, review the Zoning District Information Sheet for the district. Here is a link to the Street Classification Maps for land uses. Follow this link for Additional Info for Specific Business Uses, such as childcare centers, family personal care homes, places of worship, beauty salons, barber shops, cocktail lounges, restaurants, vacation rentals, inns, and car washes.
Applications & Contacts
- Applications and Forms
- Zoning Staff Contact Information
- Metropolitan Planning Commission - For information related to Zoning Board of Appeals' petitions, Zoning Map and Text Amendments, Wireless Telecommunication Towers, Certificates of Appropriateness, Site Plans, and Subdivisions.
Frequently Requested Items
- Zoning Information Request Form
- Zoning Confirmation Letter Request
- Business Location Approval Process
- Report a Code Violation
- View the status of a Zoning Information Request, Zoning Confirmation Letter, or Business Acceptance application through eTRAC, the City's electronic Tracking, Review and Approval Center for permits and code cases.