Zoning is a power granted to municipalities by the State in order to promote public health, safety, and general welfare, and to protect and preserve areas of historical, cultural, or architectural significance.
The zoning map divides land within the City into separate districts within which uses are either permitted, prohibited or permitted with conditions. Zoning Districts are established to promote compatible patterns of land use within the city limits. Each district also has site development standards to maintain a consistent and compatible development pattern specific to each area of the City.
Additionally, the Zoning Ordinance contains requirements for off-street parking, signage, and visual compatibility within historic districts.
The Zoning Division is responsible for the administration, interpretation, and enforcement of the City of Savannah Zoning and Noise Control Ordinances. Zoning staff members provide technical assistance to the public and various administrative Boards.
Permitted Uses: To find out what uses are permitted within a given zoning district, consult the "regulations by district" portion of the City's ENCode Viewer or the principal use table. Note that many uses have additional conditions and requirements referenced in the above links under "use standards" and enumerated in Article 8.
- Zoning Ordinance
- Zoning Map: Use this map to determine the Zoning District for a property
- Development Standards
- Zoning Ordinance Interpretations
- Sign Information
- Parking Information
- Food Trucks
Applications & Contacts
- Applications and Forms
- Zoning Staff Contact Information
- Metropolitan Planning Commission - For information related to Zoning Board of Appeals' petitions, Zoning Map and Text Amendments, Wireless Telecommunication Towers, Certificates of Appropriateness, Site Plans, and Subdivisions.
Frequently Requested Items
- Zoning Information Request Form
- Zoning Confirmation Letter Request
- Business Location Approval Process
- Report a Code Violation
- View the status of a Zoning Information Request, Zoning Confirmation Letter, or Business Acceptance application through eTRAC, the City's electronic Tracking, Review and Approval Center for permits and code cases.